Thursday, 30 September 2010

Unexpected Guest by Night

We've been sailing from Bali on a direct route to Kumai in Kalimantan for about 30hrs now. Not a lot of wind so are motor assisted. Seas moderate but swell causes a lot of rolling. I've not been sea sick though. Yesterday we saw dolphins, but they didn't come right up to the boat. I was fascinated by the little flying fish they flew with their iridescent wings for up to 100 metres at a time across the surface of the water. After going to bed last night with the port-hole open above my bunk, I was rudely awaked by something wet and slimy on me UGH! - a flying fish had come right through the port-hole!
Weather is very hot and humid - about 32 C and it doesn't cool down much at night either. Catherine and I like cooling off with buckets of seawater.
The locals anchor small bamboo rafts well out to sea to attract fish they are mostly unlit and just fly a little flag - takes a lot of looking out for at night. We will sail through the coming night and expect to be in Kumai about midday the day after tomorrow in time for the rally celebrations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.